from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- Morris, Esther Hobart McQuigg Slack 1814-1902. American suffragist who was instrumental in the passage of women's suffrage in Wyoming Territory (1869) and was the first woman justice of the peace in the United States (1870).
- Morris, Gouverneur 1752-1816. American political leader and diplomat who led the committee that produced the final draft of the U.S. Constitution (1787).
- Morris, Robert 1734-1806. American Revolutionary politician and financier. A signer of the Declaration of Independence, he raised money for the Continental Army, attended the Constitutional Convention (1787), and was financially ruined by land speculation.
- Morris, William 1834-1896. British poet, painter, craftsman, and social reformer best remembered for his wallpaper and furniture designs and his poetry, including the epic Sigurd the Volsung (1876).
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- proper n. An English and Scottish surname derived from the Norman given name Maurice.
- proper n. An Irish surname, anglicised from Ó Muirghis.
- proper n. A Welsh surname, anglicised from Meurig .
- proper n. A male given name, transferred from the surnames, or a spelling variant of Maurice.
Sorry, no etymologies found.
MORRIS - The Ottawa Pirates beat Morris 7-2 in an NCIC dual tennis meet on Thursday afternoon.
BRENDA MORRIS: A longtime prosecutor with the Justice Department's Public Integrity Section, Morris now serves as its principal deputy.
morris being a mussie is an improvement over Morris showing up the bourgeoise art market or something similar pounce_uk
I kept running across the name Morris Animal Foundation as representing the definitive word on whatever it was I was looking for.
Following Ferguson’s lead, he misquotes the letter to Hamilton to assert that Morris “viewed the common people”—a phrase Morris never wrote—“who forced the Revolution on gentlemen like himself, as ‘vulgar souls.’”
Dick Morris is no conservative …. other than that … great comment.
-- One of Texas 'most successful prep coaches, Chad Morris, is Tulsa's new co-offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach.
Another prop involved with England in 2003, Robbie Morris, is retiring because of a spinal condition.
The service chiefs believe the appointment of Col Morris is as welcome as a bucket of cold sick.
TAMPA (AP) Raheem Morris is young, energetic and confident he's the right choice as new coach of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.