from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- Morton, Ferdinand Joseph La Menthe Known as "Jelly Roll.” 1885-1941. American musician and composer who recorded seminal jazz works during the 1920s and claimed to have invented jazz.
- Morton, William Thomas Green 1819-1868. American dentist who demonstrated the use of ether as an anesthetic (1846).
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- proper n. Any of several places of that name (or Moreton) meaning "settlement near a moor or marsh".
- proper n. An English and Scottish habitational surname from the placename.
- proper n. A male given name transferred from the surname.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. United States jazz musician who moved from ragtime to New Orleans jazz (1885-1941)
Sorry, no etymologies found.