from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- Morton, Ferdinand Joseph La Menthe Known as "Jelly Roll.” 1885-1941. American musician and composer who recorded seminal jazz works during the 1920s and claimed to have invented jazz.
- Morton, William Thomas Green 1819-1868. American dentist who demonstrated the use of ether as an anesthetic (1846).
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- proper n. Any of several places of that name (or Moreton) meaning "settlement near a moor or marsh".
- proper n. An English and Scottish habitational surname from the placename.
- proper n. A male given name transferred from the surname.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. United States jazz musician who moved from ragtime to New Orleans jazz (1885-1941)
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Tuesday, January 06, 2009 at 5: 07 p.m. MORTON -- An elderly Morton woman is homeless after a fire destroyed her home Tuesday morning.
MORTON - U.S. Navy Seaman Recruit Maxwell T. Johnson, son of Becky L. and Victor L. Johnson of Morton, has completed U.S.
A case of Morton's neuroma running in a family suggests to the author the term Morton's syndrome might be appropriate.
Laura Morton is the coauthor of three bestselling books on health and fitness, including Joan Lunden's Healthy Cooking and Marilu Henner's Total Health Makeover.
Captain Morton realized what was happening when female cadets began telling her they were giving up their coveted pilot slots to pursue "God's purpose."
Captain Morton began to see that hierarchy realized after 2001, as a new generation of midcareer officers who'd come up under the evangelicalized chaplaincy returned to the Air Force Academy to become air operations commanders (AOCs), in charge of cadet squadrons.
Bruce Morton is a veteran political reporter who worked for CBS News from 1964 to 1993 and for CNN from 1993 until his retirement in 2006.
Kate Morton is such a brilliant writer she truly does have a gift. as soon as I finished it I was on the internet ordering Forgotten Garden.
The Shifting Fog by Kate Morton is a hard novel to assess.
Morton is a highly competent author who knows how to set up a scene and to create interesting characters.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.