American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- Oliver, Joseph Known as "King Oliver.” 1885?-1938. American jazz musician and composer who had a great influence on the style of Louis Armstrong. His Creole Jazz Band was the first Black group to make jazz recordings.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A forge-hammer in which the hammer is fastened upon one end of an arm or handle, the other end of which is attached to an axle. The hammer is worked by the alternate action of a spring that raises the hammer and treadle-mechanism by which the foot of the operator forces the hammer down to deliver its blow.
- n. A young eel.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. obsolete An olive grove.
- n. obsolete An olive tree.
- n. A small tilt hammer, worked by the foot.
- n. United States jazz musician who influenced the style of Louis Armstrong (1885-1938)
- Old French Olivier, by folk etymology shaped to look like Late Latin olivarius ("olive tree"), but probably representing a West Germanic form of Old Norse Óleifr ("ancestral + relic") (modern Olaf and Olof), or Proto-Germanic *ala- + *wēraz (“true”) (modern Alvar, Álvaro). Name of a paladin of Charlemagne in medieval French romance. (Wiktionary)
“= Oliver le Dain = or _Oliver le Diable_, court barber, and favorite minister of Louis XI.”
“CHARACTER ROULETTE SHOWS OLIVER HER CARDS Oliver (Justin Hartley) is drugged and kidnapped by a woman named Victoria AKA Roulette (guest star Steph Song), who tells Oliver that he's involved in a ... spoilertv. blogspot.com 4 days ago - Discuss this episode in our Official Episode Discussion Thread.”
“DC COMICS 'CHARACTER ROULETTE SHOWS OLIVER HER CARDS - Oliver”
“By the way, doesn't Chuck look a little like Cousin Oliver from the Brady Bunch?”
“Also, check out Yip Yop's weblog, where I learned that Cousin Oliver from the Brady Bunch has a rock band!”
“I instantly thought of the name Oliver, after the Charles Dickens orphan.”
“In addition to Tokyo, Inception working under the title Oliver’s Arrow will also reportedly shoot in Los Angeles, London, Paris, Tangiers and Calgary.”
“Gordon Gekko's infamous speech in Oliver Stone's 1987 film "Wall Street" came to embody the excesses of 1980s high finance.”
“PC: I did The Artful Dodger in Oliver on the West End stage for seven months, and that was fantastic.”
“But at least having Oliver be Oliver and not a creepy alien something something works for me, and honestly, works better than having him be the evil Oliver from the mirror universe would have.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘Oliver’.
Words and phrases about eels.
Animated characters from cartoons of the Anglo-Saxon world from the beginnings to this day
notanotherjazzpoet had a very promising list which appears to have petered out. Yes, tosspots: descriptions of being drunk. Walk five metres on the white line then leave your suggestions right here.
Looking for tweets for Oliver.