from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Of or relating to Persia or Iran, or to their peoples, languages, or cultures.
- n. A native or inhabitant of Persia or Iran.
- n. Any of the western Iranian dialects or languages of ancient or medieval Persia and modern Iran.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- proper n. A group of very similar languages spoken primarily in Iran, Afghanistan, Uzbekistan, and Tajikistan.
- n. A member of the main ethnic group of Iran.
- n. A domestic cat breed.
- n. A pastry local to the Thunder Bay region in Canada often compared to either a cinnamon bun or a donut topped with pink icing.
- n. A breed of sheep prized for its lambs' wool.
- n. A thin silk fabric, formerly used for linings.
- adj. Of, from, or pertaining to Persia.
- adj. Of or pertaining to the Persian people.
- adj. Of or pertaining to the Persian language.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Of or pertaining to Persia, to the Persians, or to their language.
- n. A native or inhabitant of Persia.
- n. The language spoken in Persia.
- n. A thin silk fabric, used formerly for linings.
- n. See Persian columns, under Persian, a.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Of or pertaining to Persia, in any of the various limitations of the name.
- Hence (from the luxury of the ancient Persians)
- Splendid; magnificent; luxurious; soft.
- Dama mesopotamica, related to the common fallow-deer.
- n. A native or an inhabitant of ancient or of modern Persia. The modern Persians are a mixed race, in part descended from the ancient Iranians.
- n. The language spoken in Persia, a member of the Iranian branch of the Aryan or Indo-European family of languages.
- n. In architecture, a male figure draped in the ancient Persian manner, and serving in place of a column or pilaster to support an entablature. See atlantes and caryatid.
- n. A thin, soft, and fine silk used for linings and the like.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. of or relating to Iran or its people or language or culture
- n. a native or inhabitant of Iran
- n. the language of Persia (Iran) in any of its ancient forms
From Middle English percynne, from Middle French persien, from Italian persiano, from Medieval Latin Persiānus, blend of Latin Persia and Asiānus, from Ancient Greek Περσίς (Persís), from Old Persian 𐎱𐎠𐎼𐎿 (Pārsa, "Persia") (compare modern Persian پارس (Pārs)). (Wiktionary)