from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- Porter, Cole Albert 1891?-1964. American composer and lyricist remembered for his witty and sophisticated Broadway scores for musicals such as Anything Goes (1929).
- Porter, Edwin Stanton 1869-1941. American filmmaker whose works include the first edited film, The Life of an American Fireman and The Great Train Robbery (both 1903).
- Porter, Katherine Anne 1890-1980. American writer known for her carefully crafted short stories as well as her novel Ship of Fools (1962). She won a Pulitzer Prize for her Collected Stories (1965).
- Porter, Rodney Robert 1917-1985. British biochemist. He shared a 1972 Nobel Prize for research on the chemical structure and nature of antibodies.
- Porter, William Sydney Pen name O. Henry 1862-1910. American writer whose short stories are collected in a number of volumes, including Cabbages and Kings (1904) and The Four Million (1906).
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- proper n. A surname.
- proper n. A male given name
Sorry, no etymologies found.
So, boringly, the labels on The Grumpy Troll's bottles of Baltic porter will call it the "Baltic Porter."
Every one knew it was Maroney's, and even the colored porter, who sometimes went up into the garret with Porter, to look up some article that had been sent for, would say: "Dat's Massa 'Roney's trunk."
PORTER, Maine -- The National Weather Service has issued a flash flood warning in southern Oxford County because of a dam that has breached in the town of Porter.
"Potter, or Porter -- yes, _Miss Porter_, that was it.
Masrur on the other side of the saloon; after which she called the Porter, and said, "How scanty is thy courtesy! now thou art no stranger; nay, thou art one of the household."
Every player on the 2009-10 roster, except senior Tajuan Porter, is eligible to come back next season, although it's doubtful that actually will happen.
With Jason Taylor, 34, back in the mix, Porter is going to face fewer double teams.
He was finally dealt to Colorado at the deadline with Kevin Porter for Wojtek Wolski — a move that instantly jump-started the Phoenix offense.
PS: Please understand: Carole Shea-Porter is not my fault.
Carol Shea-Porter is not the representative from NH. wayneinnh
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.