American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- Powell, Adam Clayton, Jr. 1908-1972. American politician. A U.S. representative from New York (1945-1967 and 1969-1971), he was an outspoken advocate of civil rights.
- Powell, Anthony Born 1905. British writer best known for A Dance to the Music of Time (1951-1975), a cycle of 12 satirical novels.
- Powell, Cecil Frank 1903-1969. British physicist. He won a 1950 Nobel Prize for discovering methods of photographing atomic nuclei and for his study of mesons.
- Powell, Colin Luther Born 1937. American general and politician who served as chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff (1989-1996) and as secretary of state (2001-2005).
- Powell, Earl Known as "Bud.” 1924-1966. American jazz pianist and composer who was a key figure in the bop movement.
- Powell, John Wesley 1834-1902. American geologist and ethnologist who directed the U.S. Geological Survey (1881-1894) and classified many Native American languages.
- Powell, Lewis Franklin, Jr. 1907-1998. American jurist who served as an associate justice of the U.S. Supreme Court (1971-1987).
- LakePowell A reservoir of southern Utah and north-central Arizona formed by the Glen Canyon Dam on the Colorado River. It is the second-largest (after Lake Mead) artificial lake in the United States. The dam, built in 1964, is located in Arizona just south of the Utah border.
- n. United States general who was the first African American to serve as chief of staff; later served as Secretary of State under President George W. Bush (born 1937)
- n. English physicist who discovered the pion (the first known meson) which is a subatomic particle involved in holding the nucleus together (1903-1969)
“POWELL: Nor do I. QUESTI.N: Secretary Powell, sir, are you considering any measures against Syria in light of the allegations that you've made, perhaps recalling the U.S. ambassador, downgrading U.S. relations, anything along that?”
“POWELL: No. WOODRUFF: Secretary Powell, two things about the Iraqis.”
“COLIN POWELL, SECRETARY OF STATE: What I said to him is that you have used Israeli-Palestinian conflict, but Secretary Powell serving notice on "LATE EDITION" in a taped interview earlier this morning that for that to happen, Mr. Arafat must give the Israelis some confidence that he is committed to peace.”
“JAMES POWELL, D.D. "He whom thou lovest is dead," were the sorrowful words of the stricken sisters concerning their brother; we repeat them to our many friends who enjoyed the personal friendship of our beloved brother Powell.”
“POWELL, Tenn (WVLT) -- The death of a Powell woman in an early morning house fire Thursday is expected to be ruled accidental.”
“POWELL - The view of the pond is a plus for Ken Hudson in his Powell condominium.”
“POWELL - Married for more than 70 years, Lloyd, 91, and Ethel Heimer, 89, of Powell, know the secrets of a successful union.”
“POWELL -- Most pundits expected Powell to roll over Karns.”
“Colin Powell is stil credible, introspective and has every right to voice what he thinks should be done for the country.”
“Colin Powell is a very good man, but he has no credibility on things that matter to most Americans.”
‘Powell’ hasn't been added to any lists yet.
Looking for tweets for Powell.