American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. The short fat buffoon or clown in an Italian puppet show.
- n. One who resembles a short fat clown.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. [lowercase] A puppet; specifically, a popular puppet of Italian origin, the prototype of Punch. See Punch.
- n. Any grotesque or absurd personage, likened to the familiar character of the popular comedy in Italy.
- n. A traditional Italian puppet, in the form of short fat clown.
- n. Somebody who resembles this puppet.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. A punch; a buffoon; originally, in a puppet show, a character represented as fat, short, and humpbacked.
- Variant of Polichinello, from Italian dialectal Pollecinella, diminutive of pollecena, turkey pullet (from the resemblance between its beak and Punchinello's nose), ultimately from Latin pullus, young chicken; see pullet. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“Here’s an Italian fellow come over, too, that they call Punchinello; and, altogether — —””
“When the Baron mouthed he became in expression Punchinello with his finger alongside his nose, his face tightening and knotting into cunning.”
“| _CONANT'S PATENT BINDERS for "Punchinello," to preserve the |”
“_CONANT'S PATENT BINDERS for "Punchinello," to preserve the paper for binding, will be sent, post-paid, on receipt of One Dollar, by”
“| CONANT'S PATENT BINDERS for "Punchinello," to preserve the |”
“Mimi Gross, who designed the white costumes for Dunn's work, drew on Giovanni Tiepolo's lively drawings of "Punchinello," as did Dunn.”
“If so, you understand the premise behind "Punchinello".”
“Punchinello" features the titular clown and is essentially a song that encourages mirroring.”
“Onstage in the show, Harlequin and Punchinello "traded insults so realistically that they truly appeared to be two thinking beings, two persons of this world.”
“And just like the dots and stars in Lucado's story of Punchinello, other people's opinions will fall off, if we teach them to press in to the heart of their Maker.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘Punchinello’.
Looking for tweets for Punchinello.