from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- An island of southeast Greece in the Aegean Sea off southwest Turkey. It is the largest of the Dodecanese Islands and was colonized by Dorians from Argos before 1000 B.C. and strongly influenced by the Minoan culture of Crete. The ancient city of Rhodes, on the northeast end of the island near the present-day city of Rhodes, was founded c. 408 B.C. Its harbor was the site of the Colossus of Rhodes, a bronze statue erected 292-280 B.C. that was one of the Seven Wonders of the World. The modern city has a population of 55,600.
- Rhodes, Cecil John 1853-1902. British financier and colonizer who became prime minister of Cape Colony in 1890 but was forced to resign in 1896 after attempting to overthrow the Boer regime in the Transvaal. He later helped colonize the territory now called Zimbabwe.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- proper n. An island of the Dodecanese, Greece, in the Aegean Sea.
- proper n. A town on the island of Rhodes and the capital of the Dodecanese.
- proper n. A french town situated in Moselle department, Lorraine
- proper n. A Fender electric piano
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. British colonial financier and statesman in South Africa; made a fortune in gold and diamond mining; helped colonize the territory now known as Zimbabwe; he endowed annual fellowships for British Commonwealth and United States students to study at Oxford University (1853-1902)
- n. a Greek island in the southeast Aegean Sea 10 miles off the Turkish coast; the largest of the Dodecanese; it was colonized before 1000 BC by Dorians from Argos; site of the Colossus of Rhodes
RHODES - Justin Joel "Jezz" Hulbert, 39, of Rhodes, died April 7, 2009, in Rhodes.
Oh wait that was what someone referred to as the Rhodes scholar,
Richard Rhodes is the author or editor of more than 20 books, including The Making of the Atomic Bomb, which won a Pulitzer Prize in Nonfiction.
With Lynch opening the season with an NFL suspension, handyman Dominic Rhodes is a key addition.
(You simply shift the "middle" over to one side so that Randi Rhodes is slightly left of mainstream and Glenn Beck is a wacko.)
How about a Glassybaby exhibit instead, as Lee Rhodes is the most POPULAR visual artist in town.
The following year, he avoided the fringe, took an entertainment job in Rhodes and picked up the paper one morning to see that Skinner had won the Perrier award.
The Colossus of Rhodes is like this (posing) and then – watch this, watch the – watch the cameras.
The return of Dominic Rhodes is an upgrade from Kenton Keith in the passing game.
Strong safety Kerry Rhodes is a Pro Bowler waiting to happen.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.