from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- Riley, James Whitcomb Known as "the Hoosier poet.” 1849-1916. American poet whose most famous works, "Little Orphant Annie” (1885) and "The Raggedy Man” (1890), were written in speech patterns particular to Indiana.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- proper n. A surname of Irish origin, variant of Reilly.
- proper n. An English habitational surname from Ryley in Lancashire, from Old English ryge ("rye") +leah ("clearing, meadow").
- proper n. A manufacurer of British motorcars (1907-1969) named after William Riley Jr.
- proper n. A male given name, transferred use of the surnames since the nineteenth century.
- proper n. A female given name used since the 1990s.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. United States poet (1849-1916)
Sorry, no etymologies found.
CHARLESTON, S.C. JOE RILEY JR. When the homeless shelter overflowed, Riley, 53, hired an architect to design housing that wouldn't be an eyesore in the city he's run for 21 years.
SHERYL SAWYERS, GRANDMOTHER OF RILEY ANN SAWYERS: Some of the questions obviously that they have involved, when exactly did Riley disappear, how did it happen, what were the circumstances that led to her demise?
For example, Linda Riley is a very common name on the interweb.
2010 LOOK AHEAD: Like last season, Cal goes into spring ball with a quarterback competition, even though 2009 starter Kevin Riley is returning.
Although I generally recommend against eating scenes, I think that a brief eating scene might be justified to show that Riley is recuperating but is still in a pretty rough shape.
Riley is confused, but he chooses to call him Hardy.
Riley is supposed to be quite negative in his minds, though as their friendship grows, he becomes less and less negative.
Riley is the new hottest twilight guy around so sexi
Victoria creates an army of newborn vampires (we like to call them baby vamps) of which Riley is the leader.
Considering the fact that in the book Eclipse, Riley is relegated to just one page of the story … in the movie version, he gets a real part of the action.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.