from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Hinduism The wife of Rama, regarded as an ideal of womanhood.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- proper n. A goddess, the consort of Rāma.
- proper n. A female given name mainly used in India.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In Hindu mythology, the wife of the hero-god Rama, and heroine of the Ramayana.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. wife of the Hindu god Rama; regarded as an ideal of womanhood
Sanskrit Sītā, from sītā, furrow (because she was believed to have sprung from a furrow ploughed by her father).(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Sanskrit, सीता (Sītā, "furrow"). (Wiktionary)