from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- A town of the eastern Falkland Islands on the Atlantic Ocean. It is the administrative capital of the British dependency. Population: 2,110.
- Stanley, Edward George Geoffrey Smith. 14th Earl of Derby. 1799-1869. British politician who served as prime minister (1852, 1858-1859, and 1866-1868).
- Stanley, Francis Edgar 1849-1918. American inventor who with his twin brother Freelan (1849-1940 ) developed a steam-powered automobile, the Stanley Steamer (1897).
- Stanley, Sir Henry Morton 1841-1904. British journalist and explorer known for his expedition into Africa in search of David Livingstone, whom he greeted with the words "Doctor Livingstone, I presume?” (1871).
- Stanley, Wendell Meredith 1904-1971. American biochemist. He shared a 1946 Nobel Prize for discovering methods of producing pure enzymes and virus proteins.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- proper n. A habitational surname.
- proper n. Any of several places, outside England named for persons with the surname.
- proper n. A male given name transferred from the surname. Popular in early 20th century.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. United States inventor who built a steam-powered automobile (1849-1918)
- n. Welsh journalist and explorer who led an expedition to Africa in search of David Livingstone and found him in Tanzania in 1871; he and Livingstone together tried to find the source of the Nile River (1841-1904)
It's the first book in their JOHN STANLEY LIBRARY and it's a must- have if you love Stanley.
STANLEY - The mayor of Stanley is looking for answers.
In the old days (when i was an apprentice) there was a STANLEY screwdriver known as a Yankee, and Stanley offered these in various forms. there is a Stanley supplier just close to Dhow round-about and also a lot of tool suppliers in this area.
»STANLEY NEW HOPE PENTECOSTAL CHURCH, 5074 Farmview Road, Stanley, will hold a community egg hunt from 10 a. m.-noon on April 11.
»STANLEY NEW HOPE PENTECOSTAL CHURCH, 5074 Farmview Road, Stanley, has announced new serv-ice times: Wednesday morning Bible study at 9 a.m., evening at 7 p.m.
STANLEY - An electrical short is believed to have started a house fire north of Stanley on Saturday that caused about $100,000 in damage.
»STANLEY NEW HOPE PENTECOSTAL CHURCH, 5074 Farmview Road, Stanley, has announced new service times: Wednesday morning Bible study at 9 a.m., evening at 7 p.m.
STANLEY - A house fire in Stanley caused about $100,000 in damage last week, but the family of four who live in the home were not hurt.
STANLEY - The town of Stanley will receive $100,000 in federal economic stimulus funds to fix its sewer system.
STANLEY - First-responders spent Sunday trying to ascertain the condition of a Stanley man who fell off a roof on Main Street two days earlier and had to be rushed to the hospital.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.