from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- Stephen, Saint Died c. A.D. 36. Christian protomartyr who, according to the New Testament, was stoned to death after his defense of Christianity before the Sanhedrin.
- Stephen, Sir Leslie 1832-1904. British writer and editor whose works include The History of English Thought in the Eighteenth Century (1876) and biographies of Samuel Johnson, Alexander Pope, and others.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- proper n. The first Christian martyr.
- proper n. A male given name.
- proper n. A patronymic surname.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. English writer (1832-1904)
From Ancient Greek Στέφανος (Stephanos), from στέφανος (stephanos, "crown, wreath"), from στέφω (stephō, "to put round, to surround"). (Wiktionary)