from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- Strauss, Johann Known as "the Elder.” 1804-1849. Austrian violinist and composer of waltzes and other works, notably Redetzky March (1848). His son Johann (1825-1899), known as "the Younger,” is sometimes called "the Waltz King” and is best remembered for his numerous waltzes, such as "The Blue Danube” (1867).
- Strauss, Levi 1829?-1902. American clothing manufacturer who developed heavy denim trousers and founded Levi Strauss and Company (1850).
- Strauss, Richard 1864-1949. German composer known chiefly for his symphonic poems, such as Don Quixote (1897), and his operas, including Salome (1905).
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- proper n. A German surname.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. Austrian composer of waltzes (1804-1849)
- n. Austrian composer and son of Strauss the Elder; composed many famous waltzes and became known as the `waltz king' (1825-1899)
- n. German composer of many operas; collaborated with librettist Hugo von Hoffmannsthal to produce several operas (1864-1949)
Sorry, no etymologies found.
SIDE WITH THE CAMARILLA AND STRAUSS In order to have this choice available you must have not betrayed Strauss to Isaac about the Gargoyle.
I suppose that what I like best in Strauss is the stuff that's least traditionally Viennese about him -- he was, by the standards of other composers of Viennese light music, fairly unsentimental and blessed with a cheeky sense of humour.
Strauss is a regular guest on MSNBC's Your Business and has also been on CNN, CNBC and Fox News.
Steven Strauss is a lawyer, author and public speaker, whose column "Ask An Expert" is published weekly at USATODAY. com.
In many senses, Leo Strauss is one of the forefathers of the current neo-conservative movement (and himself a student of Machiavelli).
Leo Strauss is one of the University of Chicago boys that pushed a deceptive system of ideology that had plans within plans.
Steve Strauss is a lawyer specializing in small business.
Steven D. Strauss is a lawyer, author and speaker who specializes in small business and entrepreneurship.
Tracy Strauss is (probably) gone, Micah is (sorta) back, and Angela and Peter are in hiding from The Hunter.
When Andrew Flintoff was appointed to lead the 2006-07 Ashes campaign my young daughter remarked that "the man who isn't Fred" – Andrew Strauss in other words – must be very sad.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.