from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- proper n. The sixteen teams participating in the regional semifinals of the NCAA Division I tournament, one of whom will become the national champion.
- proper n. The round of the NCAA Division I basketball tournament where all but 16 teams have been eliminated.
- proper n. An appearance in the Sweet Sixteen.
- proper n. A party for one's sixteenth birthday.
Sorry, no etymologies found.
* The Sweet Sixteen gets underway tonight with 4 games.
Gonzaga's 13 straight appearances in the NCAA tournament is tied for the fourth-longest streak in the country; the Bulldogs have advanced to at least the second round nine times and made the Sweet Sixteen as recently as 2009.
These fifth-seeded Bulldogs have won 24 games in a row, have made the Sweet Sixteen three times this decade and are much respected by the college-hoops cognoscenti.
Stevens was on staffs of teams reaching the Sweet Sixteen in 2003 and 2007, and collectively those Bulldogs lost more games inside the league than outside.
You know, when we came back from the Sweet Sixteen, there were about 20 people here.
Butler, so adept at closing out games, was 6 minutes away from the Sweet Sixteen.
Only once in 26 years have all the top three seeds Nos. 1, 2, 3 made the Sweet Sixteen.
A double-digit seed has made the Sweet Sixteen 24 of 26 years.
Facing a Wildcats squad that was about forty hours removed from an emotionally and physically draining double overtime win over Xavier in the Sweet Sixteen, Butler led the entire first half en route to a seven point lead, 27-20.
You'll get 25 points for each Sweet Sixteen team you correctly pick, 50 points for each Elite Eight, 100 points for each Final Four, 250 points for each final two, and 500 points for correctly picking the national champion.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.