from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- Taft, Helen 1861-1943. First Lady of the United States (1909-1913) as the wife of President William Howard Taft. She arranged for the planting of several thousand cherry trees around Washington, D.C.
- Taft, William Howard 1857-1930. The 27th President of the United States (1909-1913), whose term was marked by antitrust activity and passage of the Payne-Aldrich Tariff Act (1909). He later served as the chief justice of the U.S. Supreme Court (1921-1930).
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- proper n. A surname.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- In plumbing, to turn outwardly at a sharp angle and expand (the extremity of a lead pipe) into a wide edge or fastening flange.
- n. In plumbing, that modification of the end of a lead pipe by which it is turned sharply outward into a broad flat rim.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. 27th President of the United States and later chief justice of the United States Supreme Court (1857-1930)
- n. United States sculptor (1860-1936)
Sorry, no etymologies found.
TAFT AVENUE, intersection with Lawe Street, restricted to one lane with temporary stop controls on Taft starting Wednesday for pavement restoration.
TAFT Josh Dickey went 3-for-4 with a homerun and 3 stolen bases for Taft as the Cougars defeated Lassen College 20-4.
(TAFT) 5'10 "; PV - Dunmore (NEW) 13-06; 400 relay - Taft 45.74; 1600 relay - Central 3: 46.52.
Saying Victoria Taft is the reason this issue doesn't have your support is like saying you won't take your daily swim due to water.
Victoria Taft is a vocal cheer leader, and something to get this campaign started.
What in the William Howard Taft is going on there?
Taft is the rare exception, but then how many people become President and then Chief Justice?
Taft is just an annoying little mosquito buzzing around our heads.
The only way Taft is going to hijack the movement is if we let her.
Taft is obviously a polarizing figure, and any such folks on either side of the political spectrum are not what the recall effort needs.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.