from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- Titus 1 Originally Flavius Sabinus Vespasianus. A.D. 39-81. Emperor of Rome (79-81) whose reign was marked by the construction of the Roman Colosseum. He was instrumental to the capture of Jerusalem (70).
- n. See Table at Bible.
- Titus, Saint First century A.D. Christian leader and companion of Saint Paul. An epistle of the New Testament, ascribed to Paul, is addressed to him.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- proper n. The seventeenth book of the New Testament of the Bible, the epistle to Titus.
- proper n. An early Christian, the addressee of the said epistle.
- proper n. A male given name.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a Greek disciple and helper of Saint Paul
- n. Emperor of Rome; son of Vespasian (39-81)
- n. a New Testament book containing Saint Paul's epistle to Titus; contains advice on pastoral matters
THE PEOPLE CONSECRATE THE DELPHINIUM TO TITUS AND TO HERCULES; and what is yet more, even in our time, a priest of Titus was formally elected and declared; and after sacrifice and libation, they sing a set song, much of which for the length of it we omit, but shall transcribe the closing verses: —
CONSECRATE THE DELPHINIUM TO TITUS AND TO HERCULES; and what is yet more remarkable, even in our time, a priest of Titus was formally elected and declared; and after sacrifice and libation, they sang a set song, of which these are the closing verses: --
Synopsis: Captain "Titus" Oates, a British polar explorer, is plucked from the verge of death in 1912 to America in 2045, where aliens called Forties have bestowed time warp technology to humanity.
You are doing what the Word of God teaches in Titus 2: 3-5.
I love their scenes in Titus and Gormenghast passionately, oh my gosh.
The Democratic operation in Nevada, built to save Reid and freshman Rep. Dina Titus, is a juggernaut of presidential-campaign proportions.
The basic concepts in Titus Andronicus are pretty unpleasant too, but it is not being marketed as a comedy.
"She must be from Taxes!" the ad drawled against a silhouette of the Lone Star State, even though Titus is from Georgia.
I posted all this to let the young ones know that if you are not mature you will deprive yourself of the blessings of being a refined and dignified older woman, as described in Titus 2 of the Bible.
Here is the Greek definition of the phrase in Titus 2 "keepers at home" oikouros oy-koo-ros '
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.