from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- Walpole, Horace or Horatio. Fourth Earl of Orford. 1717-1797. British writer and historian whose correspondence and memoirs provide valuable information about his era. He wrote The Castle of Otranto (1764), considered the first Gothic novel in English.
- Walpole, Sir Robert. First Earl of Orford. 1676-1745. English politician who as first lord of the treasury and Chancellor of the Exchequer (1715-1717 and 1721-1742) led the Whig administration and is regarded as Britain's first prime minister.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- proper n. An English habitational surname from either of two places in Norfolk and Suffolk.
- proper n. Horace Walpole, 4th Earl of Orford, English politician and writer.
- proper n. The name of several towns or cities.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. English writer and historian; son of Sir Robert Walpole (1717-1797)
- n. Englishman and Whig statesman who (under George I) was effectively the first British prime minister (1676-1745)
From Old English words for "wall pool". (Wiktionary)