from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- Webster, Daniel 1782-1852. American politician. A U.S. representative from New Hampshire (1813-1817) and later a representative (1823-1827) and senator (1827-1841 and 1845-1850) from Massachusetts, he was a noted orator who espoused preservation of the Union. He twice served as secretary of state (1841-1843 and 1850-1852).
- Webster, John 1580?-1625? English playwright whose works include The White Devil (published 1612) and The Duchess of Malfi (c. 1613).
- Webster, Noah 1758-1843. American lexicographer whose Spelling Book (1783) helped standardize American spelling. His major work, An American Dictionary of the English Language, was originally published in 1828.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- proper n. An English occupational surname for someone who was a weaver.
- proper n. Any of various dictionaries published under the name Webster.
Sorry, no etymologies found.
WEBSTER GROVES • Eden Theological Seminary and Webster University have completed the sale of about one-fourth of Eden's campus to the expanding Webster.
WEBSTER - A man police said was under investigation in connection with hit-and-run accidents in Houston was shot several times Monday by Webster police officers in the emergency room parking lot of Clear Lake Regional Medical Center, authorities said.
WEBSTER - Until recently, cystic fibrosis wasn't responsible for bringing much good into the lives of Emily and Elizabeth Hart of Webster.
WEBSTER - A series of parking lot robberies have police asking the public to be aware of their surroundings, since two women were accused of using a bat to rob another women of her purse in Webster, authorities said Tuesday.
His imitations of other orators were highly amusing, especially what he called Webster's Rochester speech: "The public debt; it must be paid; and it _shall_ be paid; -- how much is it?"
I also gave a copy to the NASA souvenir store in Webster about a year later.
His companion Webster is a bit older than Collins, more heavyset.
- 1 331 Colin Webster (70) bludgeoned to violent violent violent violent violent death on unnamed farm, Richmond, KZN
- 1 331 Colin Webster (70) bludgeoned to genocide upon unnamed farm, Richmond, KZN
- 1331 Colin Webster (70) bludgeoned to violent genocide upon unnamed farm, Richmond, KZN
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.