American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- Whitney, Eli 1765-1825. American inventor and manufacturer whose invention of the cotton gin (1793) revolutionized the cotton industry. He also established the first factory to assemble muskets with interchangeable parts, marking the advent of modern mass production.
- MountWhitney A peak, 4,420.7 m (14,494 ft) high, in the Sierra Nevada of east-central California. It is the highest elevation in the continental United States.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A kind of cloth having a raised nap in ridges (E. D. D.): a heavy, rather coarse, woolen fabric much used in the eighteenth century for coats, breeches, petticoats, and cloaks. Blankets are now made of it.
- n. A habitational surname.
- n. A female given name transferred from the surname, popular in the 1980s and 1990s.
- n. United States inventor of the mechanical cotton gin (1765-1825)
- n. the highest peak in the Sierra Nevada range in California (14,494 feet high)
- Place name from Middle English atten whiten ey "by the white island". (Wiktionary)
“Whitney is very very quick and very bitchy with Wendy, perhaps being the reason why Wendy felt the need to call her out so publicly on her show for "not owning" her drug habit, whatever that means.”
“While Whitney is out murking her classic hits with her rocks-infested singing, here is breath of fresh air Sade and her promo art for her latest single “Baby Father.””
“Green Party candidate for Illinois governor Rich Whitney is fighting bizarre-name backlash after his surname was misspelled as "Whitey" on touch-screen voting machines in some mostly black wards.”
“(Soundbite of laughter) SAGAL: Kyrie, Green Party candidate Rich Whitney is facing an uphill battle in the race for Illinois governor.”
“However, each player has three seasons remaining on their contract, and Whitney is owed $14.5 million and Visnovsky is owed $14 million because his contract had his lowest salaries at the end of the deal.”
“Currently Whitney is the starter for the Wildcats.”
“Clarion classmate, Justin Whitney, has a totally awesome story up at Expanded Horizons called "Introducing Jim".”
“Julian Whitney is a paleontologist and a college professor who feels his life has little to offer in the way of entertainment, and he spends his days teaching his classes and hoping something will happen between him and the attractive physics professor, Yariko.”
“Whitney is immensely talented but technically deficient," Arceneaux says.”
“The reason for rock at the Whitney is a new indie music series the museum has implemented with Keds called The Whitney Live.”
Looking for tweets for Whitney.