from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- transitive v. To perform or carry out with success; accomplish. See Synonyms at perform.
- transitive v. To attain with effort or despite difficulty. See Synonyms at reach.
- intransitive v. To accomplish something successfully; perform at a standard or above standard level: skills needed to achieve in school.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- transitive v. To carry on to a final close; to bring out into a perfected state; to accomplish; to perform; -- as, to achieve a feat, an exploit, an enterprise.
- transitive v. To obtain, or gain, as the result of exertion; to succeed in gaining; to win.
- transitive v. To finish; to kill.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To perform or execute; accomplish, as some great enterprise; finish; carry on to a prosperous close.
- To gain or obtain, as the result of exertion; bring about, as by effort.
- Synonyms Effect, Accomplish, etc. (see perform), bring about, work out.
- To acquire, win, obtain, get.
- To come to an end.
- To accomplish some enterprise; bring about a result intended.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- v. to gain with effort
I think public opinion has already hardened, and about the only thing he can realistically hope to achieve is to stop the bleeding in his poll numbers.
All Clinton can hope to achieve is to make certain that Obama does not win against McCain. chris
Paul Flynn has rushed to Alun Cairn's defence, although all he seems to achieve is to remind us just how ancient he really is:
All they seem to achieve is to make martyrs of the likes of Griffin and Irving, surely a daft result if ever.
All three of us are very interested in writing and publishing and other creative things, so part of what we hope to achieve is to puttogether a book that we can be proud of.
So another part of what we hope to achieve is to bring a really good idea to life – which I think is part of what drives every creative project.
I think that a respectable goal that most students would like to achieve is to get criticisms or critiques on some of their most well-developed ideas, stories, essays, artworks, etc.
But what we have been able to achieve is to provide more and more care on an ambulatory and community basis.
The end result which we are really trying to achieve is to change public attitudes toward our market economy system.
Unfortunately no one vehicle or launch system can really hope to achieve everything without waste one way or another, all that you can hope to achieve is to maximize your abilities and eficiency as best you can, in an ideal world the funds would be available to do this in the best possible way but in the current political climate that seems a very long way off but i'm sure that everyone working at grass roots level is trying to do the best they can with the limited resources available.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.