from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The union of the sperm and egg in sexual reproduction.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. sexual reproduction
- n. The union of a male and female gamete
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In biology, the mingling of the hereditary tendencies of the two parents in sexual reproduction, considered abstractly, as distinct from amphigony or the reproductive process.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. reproduction involving the union or fusion of a male and a female gamete
- n. union of sperm and egg in sexual reproduction
amphi- + Greek mixis, a mingling (from mignunai, mik-, to mingle.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)