Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- In modern dress and upholstery, applied or sewed on, or produced in this way. Thus, the gimp or pattern of soiled or injured lace may be sewed upon a new ground, or embroidered flowers may be secured to new silk; in such a case the pattern or ornament is said to be appliqué, and the whole is appliqué work.
- More generally, said of one material, as metal, fixed upon another, in ornamental work: as, an enameled disk appliqué upon a surface of filigree, an ivory figure appliqué upon a Japanese lacquer, and the like.
GNU Webster's 1913
- adj. Ornamented with a pattern (which has been cut out of another color or stuff)
appliedor transferred to a foundation
- v. sew on as a decoration
- n. a decorative design made of one material sewn over another
Sorry, no example sentences found.
These user-created lists contain the word ‘appliqué’.
Fashion elegance, oddities, styles, and cool garments.
For stuff to simply reside.
Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.
Looking for tweets for appliqué.