from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A sporelike cell produced by some fungi and algae
- n. A similar cell produced by some bacteria
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A bacterial resting cell, -- formerly considered a spore, but now known to occur even in endosporous bacteria.
- n. one of the small conidia occurring arranged in chains in certain fungi. Called also oidium.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In botany, one of a number of spores united together in the form of a string of beads, formed by fission, and characteristic of various low fungi and algæ.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a body that resembles a spore but is not an endospore; produced by some bacteria
- n. one of a string of thick walled vegetative resting cells formed by some algae and fungi
Sorry, no etymologies found.