from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A temple of Athene, at Athens, in which scholars and poets were accustomed to read their works and instruct students.
- n. A school founded at Rome by Hadrian.
- n. A literary or scientific association or club.
- n. A building or an apartment where a library, periodicals, and newspapers are kept for use.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. See Athenœum.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a literary or scientific association for the promotion of learning
- n. a place where reading materials are available
Sorry, no etymologies found.