Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. An ancient kind of divination for the detection of crime by means of an ax or axes. One form consisted in poising an ax on a bar, and repeating the names of persons suspected. If the ax moved at the name of any one, he was pronounced guilty. For auother form, see extract.
- n. A species of divination, by means of an ax or hatchet. Including:
- n. Divination by saws. Almost certainly an error, there is only one citation of its use, and those who copied it.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. A species of divination, by means of an ax or hatchet.
- Latin axinomantia, from Ancient Greek ἀξινομαντεία. (Wiktionary)
Sorry, no example sentences found.
These user-created lists contain the word ‘axinomancy’.
denoting or relating to divination by a specified means
Not just rare words, but thousands of RARE WORDS WITH DEFINITIONS.
If you want to see the definitions, too, go to
mancies - fancy and otherwise - many from the vatic attic
Other comparable lists on wordie include Papageno's It's Magic! and colleen's taking the auspices
Curses and spiritual warfare.
Being kinds of and related to divination.
Looking for tweets for axinomancy.