Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Direct; near; short: as, that way's the bainest (banest).
- 2. Ready; willing.
- Limber; pliant; flexible.
- Near by; at hand.
- 2. Readily; willingly.
- n. A bath, in any of the senses of that word.
- n. A bagnio or brothel.
- To bathe; wash.
- To bathe one's self; take a bath.
- etc. Obsolete spelling of bane, bone, etc.
- adj. Ready; willing.
- adj. Direct; near; short; gain.
- adj. Limber; pliant; flexible.
- adv. Readily; willingly.
- adv. Nearby; at hand.
- n. obsolete A bath.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. obsolete A bath; a bagnio.
- From Middle English bain, bayne, bayn, beyn ("direct, prompt"), from Old Norse beinn ("straight, right, favourable, advantageous, convenient, friendly, fair, keen"), from Proto-Germanic *bainaz (“straight”), from Proto-Indo-European *bhei- (“to hit, beat”). Cognate with Scots bein, bien ("in good condition, pleasant, well-to-do, cosy, well-stocked, pleasant, keen"), Icelandic beinn ("straight, direct, hospitable"), Norwegian bein ("straight, direct, easy to deal with"). See also bein. (Wiktionary)
“Your bain is by far THE BEST survival weapon availible.”
“Among the inventions attributed to her is the double boiler commonly known as a bain-marie.”
“She is wearing a black maillot de bain, which is hidden beneath her paréo.”
“And you get and tell May when she do come home, that 'tis particular glad I be for to know as her bain't took worse, nor nothing.”
“The only "bain" that I could think of was my standard 13x9 glass baking tray.”
“Theer! yo 'bain't so much as scratted, ma precious, is yo'?" she cried.”
“Almost 48 hours earlier, on Friday the 26th -- a beautiful August day, a warm bain de soleil -- miles before any talk of Tornados -- I strolled the two blocks to the supermarket, carrying my two-handed golf-umbrella just in case of another earthquake.”
“I've even learned the word in multiple languages to save time, which is of the essence: salle de bain, bano, אמבטיה, Seomra Folctha, Koupelna.”
“I've even learned the word in multiple languages to save time, which is of the essence: salle de bain, bano, ××××××, Seomra Folctha, Koupelna.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘bain’.
Looking for tweets for bain.