from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Of or pertaining to the base of the sphenoid bone, especially to a centre of ossification there in the embryo
- n. The basisphenoid bone
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Of or pertaining to that part of the base of the cranium between the basioccipital and the presphenoid, which usually ossifies separately in the embryo or in the young, and becomes a part of the sphenoid in the adult.
- n. The basisphenoid bone.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- In anatomy, pertaining to the body or basis of the compound sphenoid bone.
- n. In anatomy, the centrum of the second cranial segment, or basis, of the compound sphenoid bone, represented in human anatomy by the greater part of the body of the sphenoid (all that part behind the sella turcica), as distinguished from its wings and pterygoid processes, situated in the basicranial axis of the skull, between the basioccipital and the presphenoid.
- n. In ichthyology, a bone attached to the anterior end of the inner wings of the proötics, which roof the myodome.
Sorry, no etymologies found.