from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. An inhabitant of Bethlehem in Judea.
- n. An insane person; a madman; a bedlamite.
- n. One of an extinct English order of monks.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. An inhabitant of Bethlehem of Judea (2 Sam. xxi. 19).
- n. An inmate of Bethlehem hospital or other lunatic asylum; a bedlamite. See bedlam and bedlamite.
- n. Eccles.: One of an order of monks introduced into England in the year 1257, who were habited like the Dominicans, except that they wore a star with five rays, in memory of the comet or star which appeared over Bethlehem at the birth of Christ.
- n. One of an order founded in the seventeenth century for the service of the hospitals in Spanish America.
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Sorry, no example sentences found.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.