from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Savage, indiscriminate killing; a massacre.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Indiscriminate killing or slaughter.
- n. An upset (as of a game with unexpected results.)
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. Indiscriminate slaughter; the killing of multiple persons.
- n. Substantial losses by many people, as in a mass termination of employment or widespread financial loss.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. indiscriminate slaughter
Coined in 1867. Compound of blood and bath, the latter used to refer in the metaphorical sense to a deluge of a thing. (Wiktionary)