from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. An act of overcoming or penetrating an obstacle or restriction.
- n. A military offensive that penetrates an enemy's lines of defense.
- n. A major achievement or success that permits further progress, as in technology.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Characterized by major progress or overcoming some obstacle.
- n. An advance through and past enemy lines (or vice versa).
- n. Any major progress; such as a great innovation or discovery that overcomes a significant obstacle.
- n. The penetration of the opposition defence
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. a productive insight.
- n. a sudden change of situation, such as making an important discovery, that permits further rapid advances toward a goal.
- n. a penetration of an enemy's defense in depth and strength.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- v. break out
- v. penetrate
- v. pass through (a barrier)
- n. making an important discovery
- n. a productive insight
- n. a penetration of a barrier such as an enemy's defense
break + through (Wiktionary)