American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- adj. Determined by mathematical calculation.
- adj. Undertaken after careful estimation of the likely outcome: took a calculated risk.
- adj. Made or planned to accomplish a certain purpose; deliberate: insincere, calculated modesty.
- adj. Likely; apt.
GNU Webster's 1913
- Worked out by calculation; ; ascertained or conjectured as a result of calculation.
- Adapted by calculation, contrivance. or forethought to accomplish a purpose.
- Likely to produce a certain effect, whether intended or not; fitted; adapted; suited.
- adj. carefully thought out in advance
“It was a term calculated to gain him sympathy, and with his male friends, and an occasional prostitute, it did.”
“By the way, in case you never thought about it, “Reds” is an invidious term calculated to dehumanize radical activists.”
“You have to admit that The Laws of Ecclesiastical Polity is not a title calculated to attract a mass readership; and it is still rather difficult to explain just why a book with such a title is a classic of doctrinal reflection, not just a dissertation on how to run churches.”
“Members Forum - spokesman Mpati Matabane said the organisation had given the president until February 4 to respond to what he referred to as a calculated plot to exclude them from the new defence system.”
“This paper bore a title calculated to reassure its readers.”
“Dyess began doing "weird," "strange" and terrifying things to Mulligan's family, mounting what she described as a calculated campaign of terror that resulted in more than a dozen calls to the sheriff's office by Dyess and the Mulligans.”
“The head of the Royal College of Midwives has condemned what she called a calculated campaign against home births intended to scare women into believing it was unsafe.”
“By Robert Fulford, National PostAugust 18, 2009 2: 02 AM A few years ago Paula Findlen, a professor of book with a title calculated to stir unusual interest --”
“By the end of 2009, with approximately $36 ARPU that we discussed, we expect that that will contribute on what we call the calculated contribution per user.”
“The length of the subcontract was 6 months, yet the subcontractor worked for only about 2 months and, as calculated from the time actually spent at the job site, completed only 33 percent of the construction.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘calculated’.
A complete Barron's Wordlist for GRE preparation. Your online flashcard replacement.
Looking for tweets for calculated.