from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The act, process, or practice of censoring.
- n. The office or authority of a Roman censor.
- n. Psychology Prevention of disturbing or painful thoughts or feelings from reaching consciousness except in a disguised form.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The use of state or group power to control freedom of expression, such as passing laws to prevent media from being published or propagated.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The office or power of a censor.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The office or dignity of a censor; the time during which a censor holds his office.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. deleting parts of publications or correspondence or theatrical performances
- n. counterintelligence achieved by banning or deleting any information of value to the enemy
From censor + -ship. (Wiktionary)