from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A fortress in a commanding position in or near a city.
- n. A stronghold or fortified place; a bulwark.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A strong fortress that sits high above a city.
- n. A stronghold or fortified place.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A fortress in or near a fortified city, commanding the city and fortifications, and intended as a final point of defense.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A fortress or castle in or near a city, intended to keep the inhabitants in subjection, or, in case of a siege, to form a final refuge and point of defense: frequently used figuratively.
- n. Any strongly fortified post.
- n. Synonyms See fortification.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a stronghold into which people could go for shelter during a battle
French citadelle, from Italian cittadella, diminutive of città, city, from Latin cīvitās; see city.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From French citadelle, from Italian cittadella, diminutive of città ("city"), from Latin cīvitās. (Wiktionary)