from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A state of deep, often prolonged unconsciousness, usually the result of injury, disease, or poison, in which an individual is incapable of sensing or responding to external stimuli and internal needs.
- n. Astronomy The nebulous luminescent cloud containing the nucleus and constituting the major portion of the head of a comet.
- n. Botany A usually terminal tuft or cluster, especially a tuft of hairs on a seed, as on a willow or milkseed.
- n. Physics A diffuse, comet-shaped image of a point source of light or radiation caused by aberration in the optical system.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A state of sleep from which one may not wake up, usually induced by some form of trauma.
- n. A cloud of dust surrounding the nucleus of a comet
- n. A defect characterized by diffuse, pear-shaped images that should be points
- n. A tuft or bunch, such as the assemblage of branches forming the head of a tree, a cluster of bracts when empty and terminating the inflorescence of a plant, or a tuft of long hairs on certain seeds.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A state of profound insensibility from which it is difficult or impossible to rouse a person. See carus.
- n. The envelope of a comet; a nebulous covering, which surrounds the nucleus or body of a comet.
- n. A tuft or bunch, -- as the assemblage of branches forming the head of a tree; or a cluster of bracts when empty and terminating the inflorescence of a plant; or a tuft of long hairs on certain seeds.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In pathology, a state of prolonged unconsciousness some what resembling sleep, from which the patient cannot be aroused, or can be aroused only partially, temporarily, and with difficulty; stupor.
- n. In botany: The leafy head of a tree, or a cluster of leaves terminating a stem, as the leafy top of a pineapple.
- n. The silky hairs at the end of some seeds, as of the willow-herb, Epilobium.
- n. In astronomy, the nebulous hair-like envelop surrounding the nucleus of a comet.
- n. In microscopy, the hazy fringe on the outline of a microscopic object seen when the lens is not free from spherical aberration.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a state of deep and often prolonged unconsciousness; usually the result of disease or injury
- n. (botany) a usually terminal tuft of bracts (as in the pineapple) or tuft of hairs (especially on certain seeds)
- n. (astronomy) the luminous cloud of particles surrounding the frozen nucleus of a comet; forms as the comet approaches the sun and is warmed
Greek kōma, deep sleep.
Latin, hair, from Greek komē.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Ancient Greek κῶμα (kōma, "deep sleep"). (Wiktionary)
From Latin coma ("hair of the head"), from Ancient Greek κόμη (komē, "hair"). (Wiktionary)