from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A state of deep, often prolonged unconsciousness, usually the result of injury, disease, or poison, in which an individual is incapable of sensing or responding to external stimuli and internal needs.
- n. Astronomy The nebulous luminescent cloud containing the nucleus and constituting the major portion of the head of a comet.
- n. Botany A usually terminal tuft or cluster, especially a tuft of hairs on a seed, as on a willow or milkseed.
- n. Physics A diffuse, comet-shaped image of a point source of light or radiation caused by aberration in the optical system.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A state of sleep from which one may not wake up, usually induced by some form of trauma.
- n. A cloud of dust surrounding the nucleus of a comet
- n. A defect characterized by diffuse, pear-shaped images that should be points
- n. A tuft or bunch, such as the assemblage of branches forming the head of a tree, a cluster of bracts when empty and terminating the inflorescence of a plant, or a tuft of long hairs on certain seeds.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A state of profound insensibility from which it is difficult or impossible to rouse a person. See carus.
- n. The envelope of a comet; a nebulous covering, which surrounds the nucleus or body of a comet.
- n. A tuft or bunch, -- as the assemblage of branches forming the head of a tree; or a cluster of bracts when empty and terminating the inflorescence of a plant; or a tuft of long hairs on certain seeds.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In pathology, a state of prolonged unconsciousness some what resembling sleep, from which the patient cannot be aroused, or can be aroused only partially, temporarily, and with difficulty; stupor.
- n. In botany: The leafy head of a tree, or a cluster of leaves terminating a stem, as the leafy top of a pineapple.
- n. The silky hairs at the end of some seeds, as of the willow-herb, Epilobium.
- n. In astronomy, the nebulous hair-like envelop surrounding the nucleus of a comet.
- n. In microscopy, the hazy fringe on the outline of a microscopic object seen when the lens is not free from spherical aberration.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a state of deep and often prolonged unconsciousness; usually the result of disease or injury
- n. (botany) a usually terminal tuft of bracts (as in the pineapple) or tuft of hairs (especially on certain seeds)
- n. (astronomy) the luminous cloud of particles surrounding the frozen nucleus of a comet; forms as the comet approaches the sun and is warmed
Second, a person in a coma is alive, but unconscious.
Writing this book, though, allowed me to imagine what that dynamic might be like and by placing his sister in a coma from the very beginning I figured I'd be giving an eighteen-year-old boy the opportunity to be reflective about that relationship in a way he otherwise wouldn't have had.
Hojer J, Baehrendtz S, Matell G, Gustaffson L. Diagnostic utility of flumazenil in coma with suspected poisoning: a double blind, randomized controlled study.
Claims POW, Silver Star, 2 Bronze Stars, 4 yrs + 4 more, CWO2, records sealed for 100 years, in coma 8 months, bamboo shoots under the nails, and NAVY SEAL and Frogman.
Who can find this 12 people, that did not watched TV on or after 9/11, did not read any newspapers, got internet cut off, were in coma?
Were you in coma (my apologies if you were actually in a coma) during the gut-wrenching Senate Finance committee debate?
A coma is merely a state of unconsciousness; you can wake from a coma and be perfectly fine, other than presumably some muscle atrophy.
They admirably address concerns about donation through the donating family – what if he came out of coma, is he really brain dead, second opinions.
Living Will Trustee and Executor, Fenris 'let them have coffee while in coma' Badwulf, is too busy to write this, because he falters in public service while serving his belly; feasting on moose and drinking beer.
Respectfully, she who had a major turkey coma from a wonderful meal
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.