from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- transitive v. To divide into parts.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- v. To divide and share with others.
- v. To divide into smaller parts; to divide into compartments.
- v. To arrange or lay out according to a plan, with due distribution and disposition of parts.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- transitive v. To divide; to mark out into parts or subdivisions.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To divide; mark out into parts or subdivisions.
- n. A part existing along with others; an element; a fellow-member; a part.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- v. lay out in parts according to a plan
Obsolete French compartir, from Italian compartire, from Late Latin compartīrī, to share : Latin com-, com- + Latin partīrī, to divide (from pars, part-, a part; see perə-2 in Indo-European roots).(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)