from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A man who tends a counter, as in a diner.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A man who serves behind a counter, especially in a diner.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A man who attends at the counter of a shop to sell goods.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A salesman in a shop or store; the man behind the counter, as distinguished from the floor-walker, etc.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. someone who attends a counter (as in a diner)
counter + man (Wiktionary)