from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Broken so that fissures appear on the surface: a cracked mirror.
- adj. Broken into small or coarse pieces: cracked corn; cracked ice.
- adj. Having a harsh or dissonant tone: a cracked voice.
- adj. Informal Mentally deranged; crazy.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Broken so that cracks appear on, or under, the surface.
- adj. Broken into coarse pieces.
- adj. Harsh or dissonant.
- adj. Crazy; crackpot.
- v. Simple past tense and past participle of crack.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Coarsely ground or broken.
- adj. Crack-brained.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Burst or split; rent; partially severed: as, a cracked pitcher.
- Broken or changing, as the voice of youth verging on manhood, or of old age.
- Blemished, as an impaired reputation.
- Imperfect, as a doubtful title.
- Impaired intellectually; crazy.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. of paint or varnish; having the appearance of alligator hide
- adj. informal or slang terms for mentally irregular
- adj. used of skin roughened as a result of cold or exposure
Sorry, no etymologies found.
The word cracked into air like a storm waiting, banked and ready.
His word cracked like a whip, stinging her but laying him open.
For about 10 seconds, this entry was everything its label cracked it up to be-then, with absolutely no warning, that crack morphed into a tectonic fault.
The eating and the socializing were more than enough reward for fulfilling our judging duties, but we also came away with an exquisite handmade pie cozy, courtesy of Gretchen's mom, who once again cracked the whip as judge wrangler.
"Look here, Smoke, if you're gettin 'cracked on systems this ain't no place for you, an' it's about time we hit the trail again."
Okay, reading this line again cracked me up – definitely one of the best lines last night (and one of the best scenes)
A 5 acre beetle kill area that was covered in cracked corn and wheat.
The safe, just waiting to be cracked, is the bonus symbol.
Woodstein cracked Watergate not by celebrity “interviews” but shoe leather reporting.
A pistol cracked from the shoal, a second, and a third; then a regular fusillade began.