from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The analysis and deciphering of cryptographic writings or systems.
- n. The study of techniques for deciphering cryptographic writings or systems.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The science of analyzing and breaking of codes and ciphers.
- n. An analysis or decrypting of a specific text or a specific code or cipher.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. the science which studies methods to discovering the secret meaning of encrypted messages for which one does not possess the secret decoding information (called the key).
- n. the methods and procedures used to discover the secret meaning hidden in encrypted messages.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the science of analyzing and deciphering codes and ciphers and cryptograms
crypt(ogram) + analysis.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)