American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- adj. Cut low at the neckline: a décolleté dress.
- adj. Wearing a garment that is low-cut or strapless.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Low-necked: said of a dress-waist so shaped as to leave the neck and shoulders exposed.
- By extension, having the neck and shoulders exposed: said of a woman the waist of whose dress is cut low in the neck.
GNU Webster's 1913
- adj. Leaving the neck and shoulders uncovered; cut low in the neck, or low-necked, as a dress.
- adj. Wearing a décolleté gown.
- adj. (of a garment) having a low-cut neckline
- Borrowing from French, from décolleter ("to bare the neck and shoulders"). (Wiktionary)
- French, past participle of décolleter, to lower a neckline, uncover the neck : dé-, off (from Latin dē-; see de-) + collet, collar (from Old French, diminutive of col, neck, collar, from Latin collum, neck; see kwel-1 in Indo-European roots). (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
Sorry, no example sentences found.
These user-created lists contain the word ‘décolleté’.
A list of words that I find cool.
A list from the 1911 edition of "Words: Their Spelling, Pronunciation, Definition, Application" by the Gregg Publishing Company.
Colorful & fun fashion terms
Looking for tweets for décolleté.