from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- Do or make the opposite of; reverse: decriminalize.
- Remove or remove from: delouse; deoxygenate.
- Out of: deplane; defenestration.
- Reduce; degrade: declass.
- Derived from: deverbative.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- Meaning reversal, undoing or removing.
- Meaning from, off.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- A prefix from Latin de down, from, away; as in debark, decline, decease, deduct, decamp. In words from the French it is equivalent to Latin dis- apart, away; or sometimes to de. Cf. dis-. It is negative and opposite in derange, deform, destroy, etc. It is intensive in deprave, despoil, declare, desolate, etc.
How it was administered I think was the problem, not the decision to have a de- Baathification process.
I suppose you could say we are de- evolving back to the hairpin, then evolving forwards to the leopard from there.
For temporary de- bloating, though, Dr. Passler conceded, "It will help decrease any puffiness in the body caused by inflammation."
But for TCS the project was plagued with problems and de- lays from the start.
The members of the NTC say they will allow former regime members into the interim government to avoid the process of de- Baathification in Iraq that saw government officials loyal to Saddam Hussein purged from office, fueling sectarian tensions.
If you do, you have a risk of accelerated de- leveraging.
"I have a very stressful job, and I ended up having the Google doctor telling me I need to exercise more and de- stress," Atienza said in a telephone interview.
The Hong Kong Monetary Authority, the de- facto central bank, relaxed capital rules for lenders this week to boost the yuan's availability as loan demand surged.
"Progress that continues to de- risk the delivery of our growth program."
The stories-as-rumor were based on stories from fact, but they were conflated and de- and reconstructed and had become a part of Schwarzenegger’s local legend.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.