from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- transitive v. To free (a colony) from dependent status.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- v. to release from the status of colony
- v. to allow a colony to become independent
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- transitive v. to grant independence to (a former colony).
- intransitive v. to release one's colonies and free them to become independednt nations; -- of nations.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- v. grant independence to (a former colony)
Sorry, no etymologies found.