Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. One who defends; one who protects from injury; a champion.
- n. One who maintains, supports, or vindicates by force or argument.
- n. In Scots law, the defendant; the party against whom the conclusions of a process or action are directed.
- n. In Irish history, one of an association of Roman Catholics organized in the north of Ireland in the eighteenth century to oppose the Protestants who had organized as Peep-o'-day Boys or Orangemen.
- n. Someone who defends people or property.
- n. law A lawyer who represents defendants.
- n. A fighter who repels an attack.
- n. sports One of the players whose primary task is to prevent the opposition from scoring.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. One who defends; one who maintains, supports, protects, or vindicates; a champion; an advocate; a vindicator.
- n. a fighter who holds out against attack
- n. a person who cares for persons or property
- to defend + -er. (Wiktionary)
“So I have nothing to lose playing Federer, who's the title defender here.”
“Of course, I was under pressure as the title defender but I trained really well and now I can't believe I have won for the second time in a row at the London Marathon.”
“In particular, Beamer was upset with chop blocks below the knees when a defender is already engaged with another blocker and crack-back blocks in which a lineman blindsides a defensive player below the knees (safety Kam Chancellor was the target of this on several plays).”
“When I feel like I can make threes from anywhere on the floor," said McGrady, who went 6-of-10 from behind the arc, "my defender is at my mercy.”
“I'm happy to be starting into the season there as the title defender for the second time. ”
“With the personnel shortage, United will be allowed to add a defender from a lower-division club not involved in the playoffs.”
“Bet the media ain't bringing that up to show this confederate flag defender is nothing but a scum bag ....”
“Bet the media ain't bringing that up to show this confederate flag defender is nothing but a scum bag ….”
“Tapp, a proven run-defender, is expected to be the Eagles 'first - and second-down left end.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘defender’.
Lista de palabras en espaÃ±ol que tienen una sÃ³la vocal y con mÃ¡s de tres sÃlabas.
A marque list for cars--models or companies who've used common words as their name.
You've taken all the other quizzes--you've already used the name of your first pet and you're tired of having to use the name of the first street where you lived. Now it's time to find your excitin...
Very basic words for ESL students.
Words that have only one of the vowels. On this list I include only words with at least three vowels. When I first started the list, if a word had several forms, I generally listed only the one wit...
All of which are mentioned in O'Brian's Aubrey/Maturin novels, someplace or other. Most are British navy ships, some are French navy, and others aren't either one.
See also the list Sh...
In honor of terrific and terrible summer blockbusters.
Part of an ongoing series; I couldn't resist.
Looking for tweets for defender.