from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Someone who defends people or property.
- n. A lawyer who represents defendants.
- n. A fighter who repels an attack.
- n. One of the players whose primary task is to prevent the opposition from scoring.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. One who defends; one who maintains, supports, protects, or vindicates; a champion; an advocate; a vindicator.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. One who defends; one who protects from injury; a champion.
- n. One who maintains, supports, or vindicates by force or argument.
- n. In Scots law, the defendant; the party against whom the conclusions of a process or action are directed.
- n. In Irish history, one of an association of Roman Catholics organized in the north of Ireland in the eighteenth century to oppose the Protestants who had organized as Peep-o'-day Boys or Orangemen.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a fighter who holds out against attack
- n. a person who cares for persons or property
to defend + -er. (Wiktionary)