from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The act of deleting; removal by striking out.
- n. Material, such as a word or passage, that has been removed from a body of written or printed matter.
- n. Genetics The loss, as through mutation, of one or more nucleotides from a chromosome.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. An item that has been or will be deleted.
- n. The act of deleting.
- n. A mutation in which a gene, or other section of DNA, is removed from a chromosome
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. Act of deleting, blotting out, or erasing; destruction.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The act of deleting, blotting out, or erasing.
- n. An erasure; a word or passage deleted.
- n. A blotting out, as of an object; obliteration; suppression; extinction.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. (genetics) the loss or absence of one or more nucleotides from a chromosome
- n. the act of deleting something written or printed
- n. the omission that is made when an editorial change shortens a written passage
- n. any process whereby sounds or words are left out of spoken words or phrases
Sorry, no etymologies found.