American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. A lengthy, formal treatise, especially one written by a candidate for the doctoral degree at a university; a thesis.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A set or formal discourse.
- n. A written essay, treatise, or disquisition: as, Newton's dissertations on the prophecies.
- n. A formal exposition of a subject, especially a research paper that students write in order to complete the requirements for a doctoral degree; a thesis.
- n. A lengthy lecture on a subject; a treatise; a discourse; a sermon.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. A formal or elaborate argumentative discourse, oral or written; a disquisition; an essay; a discussion.
- n. a treatise advancing a new point of view resulting from research; usually a requirement for an advanced academic degree
- Latin dissertationem, from dissertare. (Wiktionary)
“Everybody Dies puts you in the shoes of a chubby metalhead who has smoked his last smoke, with illustrations by Michael Cho; Nightfall drops you into a mysterious city where everyone's fled before the approaching Enemy; and in Violet your struggle to write your dissertation is aided by the most charming voice-in-your-head character in history.”
“Chapter 4 of my dissertation is all about the way in which some Muslims coerce other Muslims into remaining silent in expressing their moderation.”
“In the meantime I'm floored by the fact that your dissertation is actually 8 chapters long!”
“And it goes without saying that the dissertation is a source of tension.”
“I'm glad that my dissertation is almost at the halfway point, that I'm going on the job market, and that I'm undertaking my own research and not worrying about the administrivia of the department.”
“I've been told a part of the problem with the first chapter of a dissertation is that there is still an immense degree of fluctuation between what's necessary to a chapter and what will eventually become a part of the introduction to the dissertation as a whole.”
“Besides, technically, under federal law, unless the thesis or dissertation is actually published, they are protected under the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act. Period.”
“I passed my exams, the dissertation is currently underway.”
“I also think the question should be asked as to why her doctoral dissertation is not available until AFTER the election in November.”
“I feel like I know what my dissertation is going to look like.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘dissertation’.
A complete Barron's Wordlist for GRE preparation. Your online flashcard replacement.
A list of words that are odd or words that I have looked up.
The vocabulary of scientific paper submission
Intensely disliked words from (a) grad program(s) in social sciences. At first they sound tricky and important. Take note! "Modeling is an important aspect in education. Eschew obfuscation."
Common words and their meanings.
Ra eh RA EH ..............
All my favourite words that I come across!
May words list from Patrick's classes
from 76 to 80
Looking for tweets for dissertation.