from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- transitive v. To deter (a person) from a course of action or a purpose by persuasion or exhortation: dissuaded my friend from pursuing such a rash scheme.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- v. To convince not to try or do.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- transitive v. To advise or exhort against; to try to persuade (one from a course).
- transitive v. To divert by persuasion; to turn from a purpose by reasons or motives; -- with from.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To advise or exhort against something; attempt to draw or divert from an action by the presentation of reasons or motives: as, he dissuaded his friend from his rash purpose.
- To change from a purpose by persuasion or argument.
- To give advice against; represent as undesirable, improper, or dangerous.
- To give advice in opposition to some proposed course of action.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- v. turn away from by persuasion
One adventurous run that is sure to create a lifetime memory takes you to the majestic Towers of Paine, but don’t let the name dissuade you.
Albeit a funny name; don't let the name dissuade you.
If you let the title dissuade you from checking out the post, you'll be missing one of those rare moments when absurd TV becomes meta-absurd and threatens the existence of the very foundation of all we hold sacred.
Looking through the options one can find out that word dissuade seems to be a good match for second blank.
Historically speaking, Penn state enacted this rule years ago in helping to "dissuade" the ownership of semiauto weapons.
Chinese officials, while they try to "dissuade" her from her cause, are always "extremely nice," she said.
GRACE: ... you would think, after all the publicity surrounding Mary Kay Letourneau and getting it on in, what was it, a Volkswagen Rabbit, after she got out on bond, that that would kind of dissuade other elementary school teachers from doing the same.
"The desire to 'dissuade' countries from engaging in 'asymmetrical challenges' to the United States ... matched with plans for how the world's second largest oil reserve might be divided among the world's contractors made for an irresistible combination, O'Neill later said."
Though Hagan would like to replace Ryan, he said he tried to "dissuade" Ryan from leaving his congressional position.
ZURICH: Long delays and problems in project implementation notwithstanding, world diva Shilpa Shetty may have gained international fame by winning 'Big Brother', but the actress says she tried to "dissuade" her younger sister, Shamita, to participate in 'Bigg Boss 3', the Last night, Shilpa Shetty hosted a dinner for the late Michael Jackson's brother Jermaine, who is her close friend Shilpa Shetty is extremely happy that the late star Michael Jackson's brother Jermaine ...
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.