from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A teacher or lecturer at some universities who is not a regular faculty member.
- n. A lecturer or tour guide in a museum or cathedral.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Instructive; that teaches.
- n. A teacher or lecturer at some American colleges or universities.
- n. A tour guide at a museum, art gallery, historical site, etc.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Serving to instruct; teaching.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. See privat-docent.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a teacher at some universities
German Dozent, from Latin docēns, docent-, present participle of docēre, to teach; see dek- in Indo-European roots.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Latin docēntem, present participle of docēre ("to teach"). (Wiktionary)