from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A small auxiliary steam engine used for hoisting or pumping, especially aboard ship.
- n. A small locomotive.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. a small auxiliary engine not used for propelling, but for pumping water into the boilers, raising heavy weights, and like purposes.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In machinery, a small steam-engine used where great power is not required, and often to perform some subsidiary operation.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. (nautical) a small engine (as one used on board ships to operate a windlass)
- n. a locomotive for switching rolling stock in a railroad yard
Sorry, no etymologies found.