from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The act or process of expending; outlay.
- n. An amount expended.
- n. An expense.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Act of expending or paying out.
- n. Amount expended; expense; outlay.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The act of expending; a laying out, as of money; disbursement.
- n. That which is expended or paid out; expense.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The act of expending; a laying out, using up, or consuming; disbursement; outlay, as of money, materials, labor, time, etc.; used absolutely, outlay of money or pecuniary means.
- n. That which is expended; expense.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the act of consuming something
- n. the act of spending money for goods or services
- n. money paid out; an amount spent
Medieval Latin expenditus, past participle of expendere, to expend; see expend + -ure.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From stem of Medieval Latin expenditus, irregular plural of expendo ("I weigh, I pay out"), + -ure (“process or result”) (Wiktionary)