from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- transitive v. To get rid of by destroying completely; extirpate. See Synonyms at abolish.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- v. To kill all of a population, usually deliberate and especially applied to pests.
- v. (transitive) To bring a definite end to, finish completely. A rather strong word that implies that what has been ended won't resurface.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- transitive v. To drive out or away; to expel.
- transitive v. To destroy utterly; to cut off; to extirpate; to annihilate; to root out
- transitive v. To eliminate, as unknown quantities.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To drive beyond the limits or borders; drive away; expel.
- To bring to an end; destroy utterly; root out; extirpate.
- In algebra, to take away; eliminate: as, to exterminate surds or unknown quantities.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- v. kill en masse; kill on a large scale; kill many
- v. destroy completely, as if down to the roots
Rep. Smith said Sanger’s work was indeed “transformational,” but “not for the better if one happens to be poor, disenfranchised, weak, disabled, a person of color, an unborn child, or among the many so-called undesirables Sanger would exclude and exterminate from the human race.”
In Rwanda, you know, it has been very, very heavily documented obviously now, that had the international community listened to the warnings that the Hutu extremists were carefully planning down to the last instance how to exterminate a population and used that word exterminate, perhaps it wouldn't have happened.
Goodness, Rep. Smith, aren't words such as "exterminate" and "kill" a bit direct and forthright for such a personal, private matter?
In chapter 17, "The Golden Age that Never Was", Diamond begins by scoffing at Rousseau's noble savage and proceeds to demonstrate that the Maori was able to "exterminate" the moa, a flightless bird, that like the mammoth did not understand that man was their enemy.
EVERYTHING has been tried to "exterminate" those (rich and ruling) jews, but they ALWAYS keep coming back, better and stronger, like the "insects" they are ALWAYS compared with.
Imagine the sound of a Dalek on Dr. Who and instead of "exterminate" use "Delete, delete, delete, delete!"
Because I see that, some on the DD end of things would "exterminate" me or confine me to a gulag.
An actor named Sam Jaffe has just interjected the word "exterminate" into his pep talk introducing some Russkies to the Canteen crowd here--WOW, the Russkies are our allies--that's when Joe Stalin was one of our Big Three heroes.
So far in Israel's determination to "exterminate" the Hezzbollah, they have lost 33 civilians, 45 soldiers, and have about 300,000 people evacuated from areas under Hezbollah rocket attack.
The Truth and Reconciliation Commission had failed to extract a complete disclosure from the African National Congress, especially on the methods they used to "exterminate" their own, Democratic
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.