from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The Stipa pennata of southern Europe: so named from its long plumose awns.
- n. In Jamaica, the Chloris polydactyla.
- n. See chloris, 4.
- n. One of several American species of Stipa, including the crested feather-grass, S. coronata, of Arizona and California, and the slender feathergrass, S. tenacissima, of Texas and New Mexico; also S. comata, one of the needle-grasses, and S. viridula, the feather bunch-grass.
- n. A weed, Leptochloa mucronata, of cultivated grounds southward in the United States and in Mexico and Cuba. Its panicle is composed of many slender spreading branches. See slender-grass.
- n. The velvet-grass, Holcus lanatus.
Sorry, no etymologies found.